As part of the governance structure and decision making process of the college, the Academic Senate is an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters. Specifically, these topics include (Ref. Title V, Sec. 53200 & District Policy 1520.2):
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites, and placing courses within disciplines.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Grading policies.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- District and college governance structures, as they relate to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the Governing Board and the Academic Senate.
Recommendations Forwarded To
Governing Board, College President, or College Council, as appropriate.