Eligibility Requirements and Enrollment Procedure
Program Updates | Purpose and Program Philosophy | Program Outcomes | Conceptual Framework | Program Enrollment and Progression | Nursing Program Policies | Eligibility Requirements and Enrollment Procedure | Nursing Major | C N A/Home Health | TEAS | LVN Advanced Placement | RN Transfer Student | BRN Course Deficiency Students | Workshops | Faculty & Staff | FAQ's | Comments About Us | Jobs & Internships | Pass Rates | Nursing Accreditation | Nursing Application | RN Bridge Program at SJSU
The online applications and instructions will be available every year from October 1st through October 31st at : http://www.evc.edu/nursing/nursing_application.htm
The application period is for enrollment in the following academic year. Once selection is determined, the student will be assigned to begin nursing coursework in either the fall or spring semester. In order to apply to the nursing program, the student must have completed all of the required prerequisite courses..
Students are required to submit ALL transcripts from all colleges attended (this is how the overall gpa is calculated and we accept these only during the application period). We suggest that the student have the transcripts sent to them directly before the application period and during the application period they can submit the transcripts to the Nursing Office in Room S207.
Note: The EVC nursing program will not accept international science courses to meet the prerequisite science requirement for Anatomy, Physiology, or Microbiology.
The criteria for the nursing program:
High School Graduation or Equivalent
Pre-Nursing Course Prerequisites:
All completed with a grade “C” or better (must be completed prior to applying to the nursing program)
BIOL 071* Human Anatomy 5.0
BIOL 072* Human Physiology (taken within 5 years of application) 5.0
BIOL 074* General Microbiology 5.0
*Will accept a minimum of 4.0 semester units, equivalent courses
ENGL 001A English Composition 3.0
Beginning Fall 2010, one semester of combined A&P will no longer meet the requirement for Anatomy.
Beginning October 2014, the Model Prerequisites for Enrollment in ADN Program formula (Chancellor’s Formula) cut score will be 75%
For a listing of comparable courses at other local colleges please click here.
If there are more qualified applicants than spaces available, selection will be as follows:
- Students who have met the eligibility requirements are put into the State Chancellor’s Office validated “Model Prerequisites for Enrollment in ADN Programs” formula.
- This formula includes cumulative GPA (all colleges attended), prerequisite science GPA, science repeats (a Withdrawal, D or F will count as repetitions), and English 1A GPA. The formula generates a composite score (cut score), which will be utilized in the selection process.
· The EVC nursing program cut score is 68%.
· Click here for the Chancellor's Formula Calculator
- Students who meet the 68% cut score are randomly selected to take the Test for Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). The TEAS score requirement is:
· Version V.: 62% (adjusted composite score)
· Pass TEAS --> admitted to program
· Not Pass TEAS --> Remediation/Enrichment
- One year to plan successfully (including passing score on the TEAS)
- Admit students in the next possible enrollment cycle
For information on the TEAS, please visit https://www.atitesting.com/Solutions.aspx