Outreach, Advocacy and Services for Spanish Speaking Immigrant Students
The mission of the OASSSIS Program is to proactively outreach to Spanish-speaking immigrant students and provide them with the resources necessary to excel at our college. Our focus is Spanish-speaking students in need of basic skills training and English as Second Language learners
OASSSIS is the outcome of a partnership between our college and Somos Mayfair, a non-profit organization that serves families in the East San Jose Mayfair community. Somos Mayfair’s mission is to support families to be healthy and resilient; to build a vibrant community; and to contribute to the larger people’s movement for justice. Evergreen Valley College proactively provides specialized outreach to the families in this community, through informational sessions, classes and workshops at their local sites. Staff has been assigned to the Somos Mayfair offices to be available for the community.
To participate in the program, students must be at least one of the following: Spanish-speaker, immigrant or in need of basic skills. Students must make an appointment with our OASSSIS counselor and attend an information session about our program.
- Assistance in completing the matriculation process
- Academic Counseling in Spanish
- Information sessions and assessment at local sites
- Assistance in completing federal, state, and college financial aid applications
- Tutoring services
- Monitoring of academic progress
- Educational and career assessment
- Campus tours and activities
- Workshops and orientations at local sites
- Book Vouchers
Office: SC 214
Phone: 408 408-274-7900 ext. 6205