4. Take Placement Tests
Evergreen Valley College offers placement tests in English, both EFL (English as a First Language) and ESL (English as a Second Language), and Mathematics.
First time college applicants who intend to take classes that have academic prerequisites should take a placement test. Special admit students – high school students (R-40 students) and home schooled (R-42 students) are required to take a placement test if taking an English or Math course. Returning and transfer students are not required to take a placement test. The Assessment Center offers placement tests in English, both EFL (English as a First Language) and ESL (English as a Second Language) and Mathematics. Although walk in appointments are accepted, we strongly encourage students to pre-schedule their placement test date and time by calling the Assessment Center at 408.274.7900 x6636 or the Counseling Center 408.270.6474.
New students to Evergreen Valley College may be exempted from the Assessment component of matriculation if they:
- Are non-high school students 18 years of age or over, who enroll only in open curriculum classes
- Have a transcript indicating successful completion of a college-level English and/or Math course needed as a prerequisite
- Have a transcript indicating successful completion of a two year
(Associates) degree, four year (Bachelors) degree or higher received from an accredited institution
Which test should I take?
If English is easier for students to speak, read, and write the student should take the “English as a First Language” (EFL) test.
If another language is easier for the student to speak, read, or write the “English as a Second Language” (ESL) test is the best test for the student.
Mathematics placement tests are offered to determine math skills on levels ranging from basic mathematics to beginning calculus.
Placement Test Schedule
Procedure for new “FIRST TIME” college students:
- New Students must complete the online application and obtain an Evergreen Valley College student identification number. After that number is obtained, the student can complete an online new student orientation at www.evc.edu/orientation
- Upon completion of the online orientation, students will be asked to schedule a “One Stop” Assessment Examination and Program Planning appointment. In the Program Planning session the student will meet with a counselor and begin to pick their classes.
Procedure for ALL other students: transfer, returning, continuing, R-40, high school and R-42, middle school students.
- These students must call the Assessment Center (408.274.7900 ext: 6636) or the Counseling Center (408.270.6474) to make an appointment for a placement test. Below is a general schedule for placement tests. “Drop-in” tests are available on a space available basis. This schedule subject to change. For questions about the schedule on specific days, please call the Assessment Center at 408. 274.7900 ext: 6636.
* Placement test schedule subject to change & availability.
** Students will need to bring their student ID to the test.
General questions regarding placement testing should be directed to the Assessment Center at 408.274.7900 x 6636 or the Counseling Center at 408.270.6475.