Tips for Students
Tips for Success
- Manage Your Time
- Start your service no later than the 4th week of the semester.
- Use a daily planner to keep track of all your appointments.
- Find a location close to EVC, home, or work.
- Allocate a minimum of 2 hours a week per semester.
- Be your Own Advocate
- Talk to your site coordinator and other students to find out how to get to know people at your organization and any other questions you will have.
- Be outgoing and say hello to people at your site. By showing genuine interest, you are more likely to form meaningful relationships.
- Learn people’s names, this is the first step to getting to know someone.
- Be patient when getting to know your site’s members. Relationships take time and effort.
- Set Goals for your Service Experience
- Create a learning plan to map out what you hope to learn/accomplish through your Service-Learning experience.
- Be specific with exactly what is to be accomplished, be it acquiring knowledge, gaining skills, and/or an adjustment in attitudes/values.
- Schedule the accomplishment in a defined period of time.
- Discuss your learning plan with your instructor and site supervisor.