EVC International Student FAQs as of March 27, 2020

EVC International Student FAQs as of March 27, 2020

Do I have to Maintain Status During COVID-19 outbreak?

From SEVIS - March 13, 2020

A school may temporarily stop in-person classes but may implement online or other alternate learning procedures for nonimmigrant students that must remain in the U.S. If a school closes temporarily but offers online instruction or another alternative learning procedure, nonimmigrant students should participate in online or other alternate learning procedures and remain in active status in SEVIS. Given the extraordinary nature of the COVID-19 emergency, SEVP will allow F-1 and/or M-1 students to temporarily count online classes towards a full course of study in excess of the limits stated in 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(i)(G) and 8 CFR 214.2(m)(9)(v). This temporary provision is only in effect for the duration of the emergency and in accordance with the procedural change documents filed in a timely manner to SEVP.

That means that all F-1 students must remain in status, taking 12 units online unless otherwise authorized by EVC ISP office in advance.

My classes are being shifted from on-campus to on-line because of COVID-19. How will this affect my F-1 status?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has indicated that because of the pandemic, F-1 students will maintain their status even if their on-campus courses are shifted to an on-line format or other remote delivery.

As an F-1 Student can I take more than one online course?

In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, Federal Regulations now allow international students to take as many online courses as they need to stay in status.

Can I take the rest of my on-campus classes online from my home country?

We recommend that you remain in California. However, if you wish to return to your home country, you must continue to participate in your classes remotely and maintain your F-1 Visa status. Keep in mind, if you decide to travel right now, you might be quarantined in your country. You may need to bring your laptop with you. Online courses and classes that have shifted from on-campus to online modality will continue to be offered online until the end of semester.  

As an F-1 student, If I return home before spring semester is over, do I have to re-apply to come back for fall? If I have to re-apply, do I have to pay the application fee again?

If you remain in status (as of complying with F-1 visa rules), you will NOT need to reapply for F-1 visa, nor pay the application fee again.

If you violate your status and your F-1 visa terminated, you will need to re-apply for it again.

I am thinking of going home for spring break. Will I be able to return to the U.S. after my break?

We do not advise you to travel outside of California at this time because this situation is fluid and we cannot be sure of what travel restrictions may be in place when you want to return. It is possible, even likely, that you may not be able to return to California if you depart now.

The campus is closed to students. How can I get help from a Counselor or from a Program Coordinator or Specialist without coming to campus?

F-1 students can receive assistance from International Student Program Counselor, Tina Iniguez, by contacting her via e-mail at Tina.Iniguez@EVC.edu or call her at 408-780-0441. Counselor will be available via email, phone, chat or Zoom.

F-1 students can receive assistance from ISP Staff, by sending e-mail to Program Coordinator, Alla Markevitch at Alla.Markevitch@evc.edu or to Program Specialist, Emmy Nguyen at EmmyThu.Nguyen@evc.edu

Will the graduation ceremony still take place on May 22nd,2020?

Evergreen Valley College is communicating closely with the Center for Disease Control and will follow guidance regarding large gatherings. As we get closer to May, information will be shared about how the graduation ceremony will take place.  The college is looking at online formats in the midst of large gatherings no longer being safe or appropriate.

I'm an OPT participant. My employer has sent all employees home until April 3rd, but I'm worrying if he will lay me off after that. How can I look for new job right now when most businesses  are closed?

As of latest update, March 27th, 2020, there is no new guidance from SEVP posted yet. We will update you as soon as new information received.

What if I am sick and cannot continue in my online classes?

If you are sick and cannot continue to participate in your online courses, please contact the International Student Program Counselor Tina Iniguez at Tina.Iniguez@evc.edu and Program Coordinator, Alla Markevitch, at Alla.Markevitch@evc.edu to inquire about a Medical Reduce Course Load option. Please refer to the Health Insurance questions below for more information on seeking medical help.

Does the college health insurance (Relation) cover COVID-19?

The Relation health insurance covers all COVID-19 treatment that is medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor.

Allied world (current insurance policy) has agreed to waive any applicable cost-sharing deductible or copays associated with diagnostic testing for COVID-19. Testing will be covered at 100% for in-network facilities unless an in-network facility is not viable/accessible. Coverage will be 100% for testing at out-of-network hospitals/facilities if the in-network facilities are considered either too far away or cannot administer the test.

What this means is that all copays and deductibles will be waived in regards to testing. The virus is also treated as any other sickness or illness covered under the plan.

Will my Relation health insurance cover COVID-19 testing if I do not have any symptoms?

No. Testing, if you do not have symptoms, is not considered medically necessary at this time. All services must be considered medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor in order to be covered under the insurance plan.

What do I need to know before visiting a doctor's office?

If you are sick, follow these steps:

In a non-emergency situation, first call EVCs health center at 408.270.6480. Explain you are an international student and describe your symptoms. Be prepared to provide your EVC ID number and birthdate.

Health Center Staff will instruct you on how to go forward. You have to get a referral if you need to see a doctor, or you will pay a large deductible. The health center may be able to give you a referral over the phone.

If EVC Health Center Staff had recommended you to see a doctor;

What do I do if I need a travel signature because I want to return to my country now?

Please plan ahead, it might take up to 5-7 business days to obtain a travel signature for your I-20.

 You will need to do the following:

Please email Alla or Emmy your travel dates and current address

Please Note:  All I-20s will be emailed to your current e-mail address (make sure it's accessible overseas if you planning to print it after you leave the U.S.)Important: An I-20 is not required to depart the US.  However; you will use this I-20 to re-enter the U.S. for  fall as long as you have maintained your F-1 status during the spring 2020 semester. To Maintain your F-1 Status for the spring 2020 semester, you must be enrolled in 12 credits or be approved for a Reduced Course Load (RCL).  You can maintain your status even if you have left the U.S. so long as you complete your online courses. 

How can get help with homework?

Additional Math evening tutoring hours with EVC tutors are now available! If you need help with your classes, then access our two online tutoring resources.

  1. Pisces Online Tutoring Mondays to Thursdays 9am-6pm (all subjects) + 6-9pm (Math) and Fridays 9am-1pm (all subjects) + 6-9pm (Math)
    • Open any of your courses on Canvas.
    • Open the Pisces Online Tutoring link on the left hand navigation.
    • Open Online Meeting rooms.
    • Open any Meeting room with your subject to access an EVC tutor live.
  2. NetTutor Online Tutoring (24 hours a day / 7 days a week)
    • Open any of your courses on Canvas.
    • Open NetTutor link on the left hand navigation.
    • Open the subject you need help with.

If there are any questions, please contact William.Nguyen@evc.edu

EVC Supporting Page
Evergreen Valley College