Counseling FAQ Thank you for visiting our FAQ page. If you don't find an answer to your question(s) we encourage you to contact:
General Questions
How do I update my personal contact information such as my name, address, email, phone number and/or major?
Complete the “A & R DEMOGRAPHICS AND MAJOR CHANGE FORM” and submit it to Admissions & Records. The form is available on Admissions & Records Student Forms.  

What is the difference between a full time and a part time student?
Full time students must be enrolled in 12 units or more and part time students are enrolled in 6 - 11.5 units. This only apply to the Fall and Spring semesters. For the Summer or Intersession, students can take up to 7 units.

How can I obtain proof of enrollment?
Request a verification letter from the Admissions & Records Office or print their current class schedule from MyWeb.

How much does it cost to attend EVC?
Refer to Fee Worksheet for more information. 

How do I apply for Financial Aid?
Apply online on the FAFSA website
For DREAMers, apply to CA. DREAM Act. 
Complete the CA. Promise Grant application (formerly known as Board of Governors Fee Waiver).
Contact the Financial Aid Office for for more information.

How do I pay for my classes? 
You can make payment online on your MyWeb account under “Financial Information” > “Make a Payment” or in person at the Admissions & Records Office. 

How do I purchase textbooks for my classes?
The required textbooks and materials for your classes are listed on your MyWeb account under “Students Menu” > “Registration” > “Purchase Textbooks” link. You can also visit the online EVC bookstore or in-person to find out what books you need. You can also order and or rent books on-line.

How do I find my final grades each semester?
Final grades are not mailed to students. You may obtain your grades online by logging into MyWeb, under “Academic Profile”, then “Grades”.

How do I request an EVC transcript? 
You can request EVC transcript with the Admissions & Records Office under Transcripts.

If I stop attending class will my instructor drop me?
Students are responsible for dropping their classes; classes are not dropped automatically for non-attendance. A student may drop a class by using MyWeb, or in-person at the Office of Admissions and Records.

How do I drop a class and when is the last day to drop?
You may drop a class by using MyWeb or in person in the Admissions & Records Office. Check the Academic Calendar for the deadlines to drop classes. Failure to drop by deadlines may result in non-passing grades or outstanding fees. It is highly recommended that you schedule acounseling appointment before dropping classes to determine the impact on your academic progress and/or Financial Aid.

What is a “W” grade? 
A withdrawal between the end of the 4th week and the 14th week or 75% of the term of instruction shall be recorded as a “W” on the student’s permanent record. “W” shall not be used in calculating grade point average. However, if you withdraw from 50% or more of the courses you attempt in any given term, “W”s will be used in calculating Progress Probation and Dismissal. 
Students who drop the course within the first two weeks of the semester by the published deadlines will not have a “W” grade reflected on their permanent record.

How do I take a course for Pass/No Pass (P/NP) instead of letter grade?
Students may take some courses on an optional pass/no pass. These are found in the course section of the catalog and have an “O” in the grade designation. Complete the “Pass/No Pass Option Form” and submit it to Admissions & Records by published deadlines. The form is available on Admissions & Records Student Forms. The P grade shall be defined as completion of the course requirements.

How can I get a refund when dropping a class?
Refunds are not automatic! All requests for refunds must be filed by the student in writing and by deadlines published in the Academic Calendar. Students will be charged a $10 refund processing fee. 

I am no longer a high school student, but I have a high school hold on my records. What should I do?
Contact Admissions & Records office to request the hold be removed from your records.  

I am a returning student; do I have to fill out an application?
Yes, if you have skipped more than two semesters (Fall/Spring), you will need to reapply to EVC. Once your student ID# is reactivated, you will receive an email to log into MyWeb account and check your registration date. 

I have attended another college previously, what should I do next?
Start by applying to EVC, then request official copies of your transcripts from all the colleges you have attended be sent to the Admissions and Records Office. An official transcript is required when petitioning for a degree, certificate, or to certify Veteran benefits. 
Then schedule a counseling appointment to review your previous credits and discuss your educational plan.

I am a high school student; can I take classes at EVC?
Yes, you must complete an application for admission and the R-40 form to the Admissions & Records Office by the deadline. Students can only register for EVC courses approved on the R-40 form. Refer to High School Students link for more information.

How do I purchase a parking permit?
Purchase a parking permit on your MyWeb account under “Students Menu” > “Registration” > “Student Parking Permit.” You can pay online through MyWeb or pay in person at the Admissions & Records Office. Allow approximately two weeks for the permit to arrive to your house through mail. You will be emailed a temporary permit until your semester parking permit arrives. Review campus map and parking for more information. 

How do I get my instructor’s email?
You can locate your instructor’s email address under Faculty and Staff tab at the top of Evergreen Valley College’s website. 

How do I find my classroom locations? 
Use the EVC Map Guide to find your classrooms.  For example, RE-311 means Roble building, Corridor “E”, 3rd floor, room number 11 or SC-127 means Student Services Center building, 1st floor, room number 27.
Application & Registration 
I want to attend Evergreen Valley College. What do I need to do?
Visit EVC First Stop Center for step-by-step instructions.

How do I apply for admission and obtain an ID#?
Click on Apply Now link to complete the admissions application. Once your application is submitted and processed, you will receive your EVC seven-digit student ID number to your email within 48 hours. For DREAMers: Complete the AB-540 Affidavit and submit to evcar@evc.edu. For more information, contact the Admissions & Records Office.

How do I obtain my Student ID Card? 
You can obtain your Student ID Card at the Admissions & Records Office. Your first one is free, and a replacement card will be $7. 

What is MyWeb?
MyWeb is an Information Center which provides guests, students, faculty and staff with access to pertinent information at Evergreen Valley College and San Jose City College. A guest is a person who has not applied to EVC and who does not have a student ID number. As a guest, you can search for classes on MyWeb but you cannot register for classes. EVC student with a student ID number will be able to register for classes, access class schedule, grades, transcripts, education plan, financial aid information, and make payment to your account.  

What is Priority Registration?
By State-Mandated law, students belonging to certain groups have priority to register at an earlier date than other students. EOP&S, DSP, Veterans, and CalWORKs and Foster Youth students are given priority registration. EVC has also established Priority Registration for other student groups. These groups may register after the state-mandated groups.
All new students registering must complete Student Success mandates (multiple measures placement + orientation + educational plan). Students who have not completed the 3 mandates will register later than those who have completed those requirements. For a complete list of priority registration groups, refer to the academic calendar.

When can I start registering for classes?
Students are assigned a specific date and time to register each semester. Check your registration date on MyWeb. You may add regular and late-starting classes on your assigned registration date up to the first day of classes if space is available. If class have already started or are closed, students will need to obtain an add code from the instructor. 

How do I register for classes?
You can register for classes using your MyWeb account or in Admissions and Records. Visit the First Stop Center to view video tutorial on how to use MyWeb or to request for one-on-one assistance. 

When is the last day to register for classes without an add code?
The last day to register for classes without an add code is the day before the class officially begins. See  academic calendar.

How do I add a class that is already full? 
Put your name on the waitlist through MyWeb, then attend the first class’ meeting to obtain an add code from the instructor. Once you have an add code, you can return to MyWeb to register for the course.  

I received the message “You are not eligible for registration” or “You cannot register without an academic program” when trying to register for classes on MyWeb. What do I do?
Contact Admissions & Records Office at evcar@evc.edu or call (408) 270-6441 for assistance.
Counseling & Advising 
Am I assigned a counselor?
No, you are not assigned to a specific counselor. You may schedule an appointment with any counselor you choose. Visit the Counseling Faculty section for a list of counselors.

Am I required to meet with a counselor?
You are only required to meet with a counselor after you have completed 15 degree-applicable units at  EVC.

How do I schedule an appointment with a counselor?
To schedule an appointment with a counselor, you can call the Counseling office at (408) 270-6475 or visit the Counseling website to schedule a remote appointment.

How should I prepare for my Counseling Appointment?
Write down your specific questions in advance and bring them with you to the appointment.
Plan to arrive on time to maximize the time allotted with your counselor. Have your student ID# ready for faster service. If you have taken courses at colleges other than Evergreen Valley College and/or San Jose City College, bring a copy of your (official or unofficial) transcript or any other documents you think may be helpful to your counseling appointment such as high school transcript, AP scores, etc.

How do I complete an orientation?
To complete the online, self-paced orientation, you will need to first activate your Canvas Account. Once you activated your Canvas account, you can access the Online Orientation link. We offer in-person orientation in Vietnamese only. For more information, contact the First Stop Center.

If I’m only taking 1-2 classes, do I need to complete an orientation and develop an education plan?
No, you are not required to attend orientation and develop an education plan if you are only planning to take 1-2 classes. However, if you plan to continue at EVC, you must meet the Student Success mandates (multiple measures placement + orientation + educational plan) to get an earlier priority registration date for the next term.

Do I need to take an assessment or placement test for English, ESL, and Math?
As a result of Assembly Bill (AB) 705, placement into your English and Math courses will now be based on one or more of the following: high school transcripts, high school grades, high school GPA, applicable AP scores, and the EVC Self-Guided Placement Tool. It is highly recommended that you schedule a counseling appointment to discuss the appropriate course(s) to take. For English as a Second Language (ESL), complete the Assessment Test Request form with the First Stop Center.

Which English & Math courses can I take in my first semester?
Assembly Bill (AB) 705 allows you to enroll in a college level English and Math course. We recommend you meet with a counselor to ensure you enroll in the appropriate course(s).

What other classes should I take in my first semester?
We recommend that you take an English and Math course and the introductory course in any potential major or field of study that you are considering. You can also take General Education courses. Refer to our online College Catalog for the list of courses GE and Major Requirements.  

What should I do if I am having difficulty deciding on a major or career goal?
The Transfer & Career Center is a good place to begin exploring different majors or careers. You may also choose to take COUNS 13 - Career Planning at EVC or meet with a counselor to help you explore different career options. 

What is an educational plan? What is the difference between an Abbreviated Student Ed Plan and a Comprehensive Student Ed Plan?  
An educational plan outlines the courses you should complete each semester in order to successfully meet your educational goal. 
An Abbreviated Student Ed Plan (ASEP) is a one semester plan of courses to take, whereas a Comprehensive Student Ed Plan (CSEP) is a complete outline of all the courses required for you to meet your educational goal.  Students with a current ed plan on file receive priority registration.

How do I get a copy of my ed plan?
You can access your ed plan by logging into MyWeb. Click on “Students”, then “Educational Planning” under the “Academic Profile” tab. Refer to the Student Guide on Ed Plan for step by step instructions.

What is the difference between a “recommended” and a “prerequisite” course?
A recommended course is established to improve your ability to succeed in the course you want to take, and you will not be prevented from enrolling.
A prerequisite course is mandatory and must be completed before enrolling. For example, to enroll in English 1B, you must first complete English 1A with a grade of a C or better.

How do I clear a prerequisite?
Complete the “Prerequisite Verification Form”. Submit the form along with proper document showing you have met the prerequisite requirement to enroll in a course. Counselors will review your form within 5 business days. You will be informed if your request is approved or denied. If you are approved, you can register for the course. You do NOT need a counseling appointment.

What if I am currently taking the prerequisite course and do not have the final grade yet? 
If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite course at either Evergreen Valley College or San Jose City College and are blocked from registering, complete the “Prerequisite Verification Form.” You do NOT need a counseling appointment. If you are currently taking the prerequisite course at another college, then you must complete the “In Progress Verification Form” and schedule a counseling appointment to review for approval. Be sure to provide proof that you are currently taking the prerequisite course at your appointment time.

What is the difference between an AS and an AA degree?
An Associate of Science (AS) degree is typically awarded for a vocational or technical program, whereas an Associate of Arts (AA) degree is typically awarded for an academic program and prepares you for transfer to a four-year institution. General education requirements for an AS is 24 units whereas an AA is 39 units. Both AS and AA require a minimum of 60 units total to earn a degree.

Can I complete an Associate degree with only general education courses?
No, you must complete general education and major courses. Refer to a complete list of Associate's degree available at Evergreen Valley College. 

When and how do I apply for an Associate degree and Certificate? 
You must schedule a counseling appointment to petition/apply for a degree and certificate usually during your last semester at EVC. Check the Academic Calendar for the degree/certificate petition deadlines.

How do I remove a Probation/Dismissal hold so that I can register?
Schedule an appointment with an Equity Plus counselor to discuss your academic progress to determine your next step. Refer to Academic Probation and Dismissal link for more information.

What is the maximum number of units I can take per term?  What if I want to take more than the maximum units allowed?
Students can only take up to 7 units in the Summer and Intersession and you cannot petition to take more than 7 units.
For Fall and Spring term, students can take up to 18 units without a counselor’s approval. Students can petition to take up to 22 units by completing the “Excess Units Petition” form and scheduling a counseling appointment for approval. 

How many times can I repeat a course?
Students are not permitted to repeat courses that have been successfully completed with a grade of A, B, C or P. Students may repeat any course in which a substandard final grade (D, F, NP or W) was earned.
Students repeating a course for the first time due to substandard grade can automatically register for the course. Students repeating the course for a second or third time are required to complete a “Course Repeat Petition” and schedule a counseling appointment to review. Registration for second or third repeats are not automatic. Students must contact Admissions & Records to register if the Course Repeat Petition is approved.  

How will a "D", "F", "W", or "NP" affect my academic record?
Grades of "D" or "F" will negatively affect your GPA. Receiving a "W" or "NP" will not be calculated into your GPA. However, a "W" or "NP" does place you at risk of progress probation and/or financial aid disqualification.

How do I calculate my overall GPA?
Check your EVC GPA on MyWeb. If you attended multiple colleges, use any of the online GPA calculator to determine your cumulative GPA. Be certain to include all the courses you have taken.
What are the steps to transfer to a four-year college/university?
Visit the Transfer Center and Transfer Services for step-by-step instructions.

What is the difference between UC and CSU? How do I know which one is good for me?
The California State University (CSU) emphasizes on practical and career orientation. There are 23 CSU campuses. Refer to CSU Profiles link for more information.
The University of California (UC) emphasizes on developing research skills through theoretical and  analytical learning. There are 10 UC campuses. Refer to UC Profiles link for more information. 
Schedule a counseling appointment to discuss about choosing the university that best fits your educational goals and personal situation. 

What are the CSU transfer requirements? 
To be admitted to the California State University as an upper-division transfer (UDT) student, you must:
Complete a minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter units of transferable coursework;
Complete the mandatory Golden Four or Basic Skills courses with grade “C” or better in Oral Communication, Written Communication, Critical Thinking, and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning areas; Earn an overall college GPA of at least 2.00; your GPA is calculated using all your transfer units attempted. In high-demand majors and campuses, a GPA of 2.00 may not be sufficient to be admitted;
Complete the required/recommended courses needed for your intended major with the minimum grades;
Be in good standing at the last college or university attended. In simple terms, “good standing” means you are eligible to re-enroll at your last college or university.

Refer to CSU Upper-Division Transfer or EVC Transfer Center or schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

What are the UC transfer requirements?
To be admitted to the University of California as an upper-division transfer (UDT) student, you must:
Complete the following 7-course pattern by the end of the spring term prior to fall enrollment at UC:
Two transferable courses in English composition.
One transferable course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.
Four transferable college courses chosen from at least two of the following subject areas:
arts and humanities
social and behavioral sciences physical and biological sciences
Complete at least 60 semester (90 quarter) units of UC-transferable credit. No more than 14 semester units may be taken with Pass/Not Pass;
Earn at least a 2.4 GPA in UC-transferable courses (2.8 if you're a nonresident). Some majors require a higher GPA for admission selection;
Complete the required/recommended courses needed for your intended major with the minimum grades. 

Refer to UC Upper-Division Transfer Eligibility Requirements or EVC Transfer Center link or schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

What major preparation courses do I need to complete?
Lower division major requirements may vary depending on the university you plan to transfer to. It is best to schedule a counseling appointment to review your major requirements and develop a comprehensive educational plan to meet your transfer goals. Refer to the links below for more information on major prep coursework:
EVC Transfer Center
EVC Articulation
ADT Degree 

What is the difference between CSU GE and IGETC GE pattern? 
CSU General Education pattern may be used to transfer to California State University (CSU) only whereas IGETC General Education pattern may be used to transfer to both University of California and/or CSU. Refer to CSU GE and IGETC links for more information. Schedule a counseling appointment to discuss which pattern best fits your goal. 

What is an ADT degree?
An Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) is an Associate degree at a community college for students who intend to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU. An ADT offers a guaranteed admission to a CSU and provide a GPA bump when transferring to a CSU. Once admitted and enrolled, a student will only need an additional 60 units to complete a bachelor’s degree. Refer to the Transfer Center link for more ADT degree information/requirements. 

When and how do I apply for an ADT degree? 
You must schedule a counseling appointment to petition/apply for a degree usually during your last semester at EVC. Check the Academic Calendar for the degree petition deadlines.

What is UC TAG?
A Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) is an agreement between a community college and the UC to guarantee your transfer admission to a UC campus if you meet all the criteria specific to that UC. Visit the individual UC campus websites to review specific TAG requirements.

How do I apply for UC TAG?
Complete a TAG application by using the UC Transfer Admission Planner (TAP). Submit your TAG application between September 1-30, one year before you plan to transfer. Submit a UC application between November 1 – 30. Refer to the Transfer Center link, schedule a counseling appointment, or contact a UC representative for more information.

When and how do I apply for transfer?
Students apply to transfer one year in advance, usually when they have completed at least 30 transferable semester units. Refer to the Transfer Center link for specific transfer application timeline and information.

Will I receive transfer credits for my AP scores?
CSU and UC usually grant credits for AP scores of 3 or high. The number of units granted, course equivalence, and satisfaction of requirements vary for each institution and for different majors. Check with a counselor and/or the individual institutions for more information. 

Can I take my transfer major preparation and GE courses with Pass/No Pass (P/NP) grade?
No. Transfer major prep coursework must be taken with letter-grade only. It is also strongly advised that you complete your GE coursework with letter-grade.

Can I transfer to a four-year college/university by completing my general education requirements only?
No. Most majors have lower-division prerequisites requirements that must be completed prior to transfer. If you are applying to an impacted (competitive) college/university or major, the completion of major courses will greatly increase your chances of being accepted. You will also save time and money by completing these courses before you transfer.

Am I required to obtain an Associate degree if I intend to transfer? 
No.  An Associate degree is not required to transfer. However, many students find it beneficial to have a college degree for employment. Schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

If I obtain an Associate degree from EVC, can I automatically transfer to a four-year college/university?
No. Completion of an Associate degree does not automatically meet all the requirements for transfer to a four-year college/university. Schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

Will I be considered a junior when I transfer?
Students who have complete a minimum of 60 transferable units and all major prerequisite courses at a community college transfer to a four-year college/university as a junior. 


           Phone Hours     

Mon & Thur    8 am - 5 pm

Tues & Wed   8 am - 6 pm

Friday            8 am - 3 pm

Student Services Center 


Phone:  408- 270-6475

Campus Map (PDF)​​


EVC Supporting Page
Evergreen Valley College