Out-of-State Admission Requirements (HBCU & Other University Systems)

out-of-state: Admissions Representatives avilable

Historically Black Colleges And Universities (HBCUs) 

Transfer Program Transfer Guarantee Agreements will facilitate a smooth transition for students from all of the California Community Colleges to partnered HBCUs. These agreements will simplify the transfer process and reduce students' need to take unnecessary courses, thereby shortening the time to degree completion with a cost saving

Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) have an excellent academic track record. While only about 17 percent of black undergraduate students attend an HBCU, more than 28 percent of African-Americans who receive a bachelor's degree obtain them from an HBCU. These colleges and universities are also leading institutions in awarding degrees to African-American students in the life sciences, physical sciences, mathematics and engineering programs.

California Community College students may now take advantage of a new initiative that facilitates the transfer to a number of

Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)

 and learn about the program and the participating HBCUs your counseling sessions.  Simply click here on 

Student Contact Form (Links to an external site)

 to access the form.

You may recall on the old program website there was a degree search feature for the partner schools.  We are working now to build ADT degree matching information for our partner schools that will be included on the ADT website in the near feature.  In the interim here is a link to a degree search engine for all HBUCs which I hope you find useful – click

DEGREE SEARCH LINK (Links to an external site)

Their team is preparing numerous virtual events for the fall semester that will be posted on our electronic calendar that can be accessed here 

MONTHLY CALENDAR OF EVENTS  (Links to an external site

An email will also go out at the end of the month listing all of the events as well as a link to register for each of the events.

A new resource that we have recently developed provides transfer trends for CCC students to the HBCU partner schools is now available!  The transfer trends dashboard is accessible here 

CCC to HBCU TRANSFER DASHBOARD (Links to an external site.)

The Transfer Credit Challenge To Out-Of-State

EVC does not have Articulation Agreements with Out-of-State Campuses. The following are the essential elements that you and your counselor will take into account in exploring baccalaureate programs in other states in the US. The same principles apply to gathering information about California Independent colleges and universities with which EVC has limited Articulation Agreements. Some Universities might have a comparibility course dadatase or an MOU. 

Expanding Your Search: Out Of State Universities 

CollegeNavigator Is a great Dept. of Ed funded site where you can explore all school choices across the US including out- of-state , private and public options. If you are relocating to another state, this is a great tool to find schools that offer your major. This is also great at locating private schools in California.

Link: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/

4 Steps To Transfer To An Out-Of-State 

The following are the essential elements that you and your counselor will take into account in exploring baccalaureate programs in other states in the U.S.

The same principles apply to gathering information about California independent colleges and universities with which EVC has limited Articulation Agreements

The Transfer Credit Challenge Perhaps the most intimidating aspect of transfer to out-of-state and many independent schools is the absence of the articulation agreements. These agreements, which exist between California's community colleges and public universities, provide assurance that transfer credit will be granted for the classes you are taking at EVC. With a few exceptions, no one at EVC can tell you with absolute certainty how an out-of-state or independent institution will treat your community college coursework. Aside from actually applying, the only way to know is to ask for an informal evaluation from the target university.

Step 1: Gather Information about the School

It is important that you gather some basic information about the transfer requirements for your target out-of-state or independent school before you begin inquiring about specific course credit. You will need to consult the school's website to find out:

• The minimum number of units you need to apply as a transfer student

• Any other transfer selection criteria, such as GPA minimums

• Lower-division General Education requirements

• Lower-division prerequisites necessary to enter your major

• Application procedures and deadlines 

Some tips:

• Unit and GPA requirements are usually a part of information for transfer students in an "Admissions" section.

• General Education requirements are among the graduation requirements for a degree from the university; and they may be called by other terms, such as Liberal Studies, Essential Skills, or Foundations.

• Lower division major prerequisites will be on the pages that describe each major.

• For both GE and major preparation, you might need to look up the institution's course numbering, in order to separate lower-division from upper-division.

You are welcome to utilize the computer lab in the Transfer Center where staff is available to assist you if you need help. Print out or bookmark pages of everything and take it to an appointment (not a drop-in session) with your EVC counselor. 

Step 2: Write a Proposed Educational Plan

Your EVC  counselor will compare the information that you have gathered to the courses offered at EVC and make an educated guess about which EVC courses will meet the requirements for transfer to your target school. Based on that guess, you and your counselor will write a tentative educational plan.  In some cases your EVC Counselor requires to collaboration with our EVC Articulation Counselor. It may take more than one appointment session to accomplish this step.

Step 3: Ask for a Review of Your Plan

At this point it is necessary to identify an admissions advisor at your target university (i.e. schedule an appointment with the Admission Representative from chosen Transfer University).

Look on the admissions website for an advisor who specifically works with students in California or your major. Your goal is to locate an advisor who will review your plan and provide feedback on whether it will meet the requirements to be admitted at the level you are seeking. You will offer to email the plan to them and ask the advisor to email their approval or suggestions for changes. You may also have to make separate contact with an advisor in the department of your major to find out about major preparation.

One of the things you will want to let the university advisor know about is the availability of all EVC's complete course outlines available online. This will greatly facilitate the advisor's ability to evaluate the EVC courses you propose to transfer. Your EVC counselor can show you how to access those outlines, so that you can pass instructions on to the university advisor.

Step 4: Confirm and Carry Out Your Plan

After you receive the university advisor's evaluation of your plan, meet again with your EVC counselor to review the feedback and make any necessary adjustments. Continue to meet regularly with your counselor, especially at any point that you want to take different courses or make any other changes that are not in the approved plan. Of course, follow all application instructions and meet deadlines set by the university

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Thinking of transferring to an out-of-state institution in the Western U.S. but concerned about the cost for non-resident students? Check out the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program. 







EVC Supporting Page
Evergreen Valley College