Evergreen Valley College Veterans Freedom Center (VFC) is proud to provide a supportive learning environment where our vet students focus on academic success and guidance to achieve their academic goals.
EVC Veteran students provide a community of support to fellow Veteran peers and a welcoming space.
Evergreen Valley College welcome all military connected students and dependents to utilize the services of the VFC.
We provide a space for students to study, socialize, and hang-out with peers and access resources to enhance academic and personal success.
Thank you Veterans.
- Our goal is to serve as the primary point of contact to assist with:
- Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits
- VA Certification for VA payments
- Veteran Counseling Services
- Assistance with accessing campus/community resources
- Provide Veteran Scholarship resources
Additionally we have on site:
- Study lounge with computers and free printing
- Textbook Lending Library
- Veteran Events in the VFC
- Direct access to Veteran Counselors
- Assistance with accessing campus and community resources
1. Apply to EVC
Apply online on the OpenCCC website, an online application system used by Evergreen Valley College and other California community colleges.
You can view the PDF instructions on how to register for classes through Self-Service here.
You can view a YouTube video on how to register for classes through Self-Service here.
2. New Veteran/Dependent Student Instructions
New Veteran or Dependent Students: Follow the Veterans Benefits Certification Instructions Form: New Students
Please use this form as a checklist to keep record of what you have completed to receive your Educational Benefits.
For any questions please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Returning & Continuing Veteran/Dependent Student Instructions
Returning* Veteran or Dependent Students:
*You are considered a returning student if you have previously attended EVC and did not re-enroll for more than 2 consecutive semesters
Please use the form above as a checklist to keep record of what you have completed to receive your Educational Benefits.
For any questions please contact our office at email@example.com
Continuing Veteran or Dependent Students:
If there are any changes in your Class Certification Form, please contact our office as soon as possible.
Please note, the VA will not pay for any courses that are not approved on your Ed Plan.
4. Educational Benefits
VA Chapter Benefits
Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
The GI Bill® Comparison Tool will help you make the most of your benefits
Forever GI Bill - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act
Department of Veteran Affairs - Forever GI Bill®
You can view the VA Education Benefits here.
- Unit Load to Qualify for GI Bill®: See table
Unit Load to Qualify for GI Bill®
Units for 16-week Session
6. On-Campus Resources
Student Health & Wellness Services
- Student Health & Wellness Services provides free and low cost services to EVC Students.
- Please visit Student Health & Wellness Services to inquire about all the services that are provided.
Disability Support Programs (DSP)
- The mission of the Disabilities Support Program (DSP) is to enable a diverse population of students with a broad spectrum of disabilities to participate in and access all aspects of the college community. The Disabilities Support Program is committed to accessibility for all students, and ensuring that EVC DSP students are fully integrated, productive and assertive participants in their own educational process. Please visit DSP for more information
Extended Opportunities Programs and Services (EOPS)
- Extended Opportunities Programs and Services (EOPS) and Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) is a state funded program established to assist low income and academically disadvantaged California residents to be successful in college.
- EOPS/CARE provides eligible students with support services such as early registration, personal and academic counseling, transfer assistance and may include grants and book assistance. Please visit EOPS for more information.
- CalWORKs is a public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child(ren) in the home. The program serves all 58 counties in the state and is operated locally by county welfare departments. Please visit CalWORKs for more information.
Student Panty & Other Resources
- The EVC student Panty & other resources (F.R.E.S.H Market, C.A.R.E Clothing closet) are available to current EVC students. Please visit Student Pantry & Resources for more information.
Degrees & Certificates
- A list of EVC degrees and certificates with overview and course requirements.
- EVC Campus Map
7. Off-Campus Resources
San Jose Veterans Center
- San Jose Veterans Center provides the following services
- Individual and group counseling for Veterans, Service members, and their families
- Family counseling for military related issues
- Bereavement (grief) counseling
- Military sexual trauma counseling and referral
- Community outreach and education
- Substance abuse assessment and referral
- Employment referral
- Referral of other VA services
Veterans Crisis Line
- Veterans Crisis Line – The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline.
Getting Copy of DD-214
- Visit the National Veterans Foundation website for up to date information on obtaining a copy of your DD-214.
Education & Training
- A listing of handouts and forms for educational and training programs
Veterans Counselor Spring 2024 Schedule
Our Veterans Counselor is available for online or in-person appointments on the following dates and times for the Spring 2024 (1/29-5/24) semester:
- Monday's 8:30am - 12:30pm **Monday, March 4th and March 11th: 11am - 1pm**
- Wednesday's 12:30pm - 5pm
Please call 408-274-7900 extension 6789 or 6393 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with the Veterans counselor or confirm their availability for the times and dates above.
Please note: Our office will be closed on Friday, February 16th and will re-open on Tuesday, February 20th
Spring 2024 Hours:
Connect With Us
- Computer lab with free printing
- Kitchenette with microwave
- Student lounge area
- AB13: VACA Affidavit
- Class Certification Form
- Veterans Student Shopping Sheet
- Veterans Benefit Certification Instructions: New Student
- Veterans Benefit Certification Instructions: Returning & Continuing Students
Iriana Zavala Camacho
Tools & Resources