The AA Degree in General Studies with Emphasis in Astronomy provides a lower division science foundation for those interested in the field of astronomy. Astronomy amateurs, planetarium operator, science teachers, and future astronomy baccalaureate majors are potential students in this program. It incorporates courses in physics, requiring familiarity with the laws of physics to describe and predict astronomical events. The program outlines a course of study that emphasizes breadth in the physical sciences. This program also provides a robust foundation for students obtaining a credential in elementary science education. Students must complete each required area of emphasis course with a grade of “C” or better.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate effective use of the language when communicating scientific information, using methodological skepticism to scrutinize knowledge and to formulate opinions about world situations.
- Analyze data collected in laboratory experimentation and formulate predictions using computer technology, mathematics, and consistent significant figures.
- Solve problems representing real world situations using classical and/or modern physics.
- Demonstrate understanding of the scientific method, by clearly identifying its use in current scientific developments, and in historical scientific revolutions.
- Show personal responsibility and social awareness by exercising ethical leadership and balanced critique of new scientific developments and public affairs.
Area of Emphasis Requirements
|ASTRO 014||Solar System Astronomy||3|
|ASTRO 016||Stars, Galaxies, and the Origin of the Universe||3|
|PHYS 007A||Calculus-Based General Physics for Scientists and Engineers - I||4|
|PHYS 007B||Calculus-Based General Physics for Scientists and Engineers - II||4|
|PHYS 007C||Calculus-Based General Physics for Scientists and Engineers - III||4|
|Area of Emphasis Requirements||18|
|AA applicable electives (recommended electives from area “B")||3|
|General Education Requirements||39|
What is a Program Map?
A program map is a suggested semester-by-semester plan to help you complete the courses required for a particular degree or certificate. It is based on the major sheet for the particular degree or certificate you are interested in. It includes courses required for the major, general education and any necessary electives.
A program map is a representation of the major sheet. It includes the specific specialty courses in a major, general education courses and any necessary electives.
What is a Major Sheet?
A major sheet includes a description of the program you are interested in, what you can expect to learn once you have completed the program (Program Learning Outcomes) and the specific specialty courses you will need to complete within a major.