Welcome to the EVC Counseling department FAQ page! Our counselors are here to help guide you on your academic journey while helping connect you with the support you need to be successful. Please browse our FAQ area for answers to some common questions. Please also check out the Helpful Links section for more connections to help and support. 

Students sitting in front of the Gym


Resources To Support + Strengthen Your Studies

General Questions

How do I update my personal contact information such as my name, address, email, phone number and/or major?

Complete the “A&R Demographics and Major Change Form” and submit it to Admissions & Records. You can follow this link: Admissions & Records Student Forms.  

What is the difference between a full-time and a part-time student?

Full-time students must be enrolled in 12 units or more and part-time students are enrolled in 6 - 11.5 units. This only applies to the Fall and Spring semesters. For the Winter/Intersession students can take up to 7 units. For each Summer session, students can take up to 10 units.

How can I obtain proof of enrollment?

You can request a verification letter from the Admissions & Records Office, or print your current class schedule from your Self Service portal.

How much does it cost to attend EVC?

Tuition and other fees are listed on the EVC Fee Worksheet

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Apply online for financial aid on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) website

DREAMers can apply using the California Student Aid Commission’s CA DREAM Act application

Students can also apply for the CA Promise grant, formerly known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver

Unsure what you are eligible for? Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

How do I pay for my classes? 

You can pay your fees online or in person. To make a payment online, log in to your Self Service account. Under “Financial Information”, click “Make a Payment”. If you want to pay your fees in person, visit the Admissions & Records Office. You can check their office hours on the A&R website.

How do I purchase textbooks for my classes?

The required textbooks and materials for your classes are listed on your Self Service account under “Students Menu”. From there, click on “Registration” and then “Purchase Textbooks”. You can also visit the online EVC bookstore online or in person to find out what books you need. You can also order or rent books online.

How do I find my final grades each semester?

Final grades are only accessible online. You can view your grades online by logging into your Self  Service account, under “Academic Profile”, then clicking “Grades”.

How do I request an EVC transcript? 

You can request an EVC transcript with the Admissions & Records Office using the Transcripts link.

If I stop attending class, will my instructor drop me?

You are responsible for dropping your classes; students are not dropped automatically for non-attendance. You may drop a class online using Self Service, and in person at the Office of Admissions and Records.

How do I drop a class and when is the last day to drop?

You may drop a class online using Self  Service or in person in the Admissions & Records Office. Check the Academic Calendar for the deadlines to drop classes. Failure to drop by deadlines may result in non-passing grades or outstanding fees. It is highly recommended that you schedule a counseling appointment before dropping classes in order to determine the impact on your academic progress and Financial Aid.

What is a “W” grade? 

A withdrawal between the end of the 4th week and the 14th week -- or 75% of the term of instruction -- is recorded as a “W” on the student’s permanent record. A “W” grade is not used in calculating your grade point average. However, if you withdraw from 50% or more of the courses you attempt in any given term, the “W” grades you receive will be used in calculating Progress Probation and Dismissal. 

Students who drop the course within the first two weeks of the semester, before the published deadlines, will not receive a “W” grade on their permanent record.

How do I take a course for Pass/No Pass (P/NP) instead of letter grade?

Some courses are eligible for you to take for a final grade option of Pass/No Pass. This list of classes is found in the course section of the catalog and classes eligible for a pass/no pass have an “O” in the grade designation. Please keep in mind that in order to have your course graded as Pass/No Pass, you must apply by the published deadline for the given semester. This process is not automatic. 

Apply for the pass/no pass grade option by completing the “Pass/No Pass Option Form” and submit it to Admissions & Records before the published deadline. The form is available on Admissions & Records Student Forms. The P grade, or “pass”,  is defined as the completion of the course requirements.

How can I get a refund when dropping a class?

You must request a refund in writing by the deadlines published in the Academic Calendar. Students will be charged a $10 refund processing fee. Please keep in mind that refunds are not automatically generated.

I am no longer a high school student, but I have a high school hold on my records. What should I do?

Contact the Admissions & Records office to request the hold be removed from your records.  

I am a returning student, do I have to fill out an application?

If you have skipped more than two consecutive semesters (Fall/Spring), you will need to reapply to EVC. Once your student ID# is reactivated, you will receive an email to log into Self Service account and check your registration date. 

I currently attend another college or have in the past. What do I need to do with my information so that I can come to EVC?

Start by applying to EVC, then request official copies of your transcripts from all the colleges you have attended be sent to the Admissions and Records Office. An official transcript is required when petitioning for a degree, certificate, or to certify Veteran benefits. 

Next, schedule a counseling appointment to review your previous credits and discuss your educational plan.

I am a high school student; can I take classes at EVC?

Yes, you can! You must complete an application for admission and the R-40 form to the Admissions & Records Office by the deadline. Students can only register for EVC courses approved on the R-40 form. Refer to the Dual Enrollment website for more information.

How do I purchase a parking permit?

Purchase a parking permit on your Self  Service account by clicking on “Students Menu”  “Registration” and then “Student Parking Permit”. You can pay online through Self  Service or pay in person at the Admissions & Records Office. Allow approximately two weeks for the permit to arrive at your house through mail. EVC will email you a temporary permit until your semester parking permit arrives. Review campus map and parking for more information. 

How can I find my instructor’s email?

You can locate your instructor’s email address in the Faculty and Staff Directory

How do I find my classroom? 

Use the EVC Map Guide to find your classrooms.  For example, RE-311 means Roble building, Corridor “E”, 3rd floor, room number 11 or SC-127 means Student Services Center building, 1st floor, room number 27

Application & Registration

I want to attend Evergreen Valley College. What do I need to do to get started?

Visit the EVC First Stop Center for step-by-step instructions.

How do I apply for admission so I can get a student ID number?

Click on the “Apply Now” link to complete the admissions application. Once your application is submitted and processed, you will receive your seven-digit EVC student ID number to your email within 48 hours. For DREAMers: Complete the AB-540 Affidavit and submit it to evcar@evc.edu. For more information, contact the Admissions & Records Office.

How do I get a Student ID Card? 

You can get your Student ID Card at the Admissions & Records Office. Your first one is free, and replacement cards are $7. 

What is Self  Service?

Self Service is EVC’s portal that provides students, faculty, staff, and “guests” with access to pertinent information at Evergreen Valley College and San Jose City College. At EVC, a “guest” is a person who has not applied to EVC and who does not have a student ID number. As a “guest”, you can search for classes on Self Service. But you cannot register for classes. EVC students with a student ID number are able to register for classes, access class schedules, grades, transcripts, education plans, financial aid information, and make payments to your account.  

What is Priority Registration?

Students belonging to certain groups have priority to register at an earlier date than other students according to state law. EOPS, DSP, Veterans, CalWORKs, and Foster Youth students are given priority registration. EVC has also established Priority Registration for other student groups. These groups may register after the state-mandated groups.

All new students registering must complete an orientation, and schedule an appointment for a abbreviated educational plan. Students who have not completed those steps will register later than those who have completed those requirements. For a complete list of priority registration groups, refer to the academic calendar.

When can I start registering for classes?

Students are assigned a specific date and time to register each semester. Check your registration date on Self Service. You may add regular and late-start classes on your assigned registration date and up until the first day of classes if space is available. If the class you want to add has already started or is full, you will need to ask for an add authorization from the instructor. 

How do I register for classes?

You can register for classes using your Self Service account or in Admissions and Records. Visit the First Stop Center to view video tutorials on how to use Self Service or to request one-on-one assistance. 

When is the last day to register for classes without an add code?

The last day to register for classes without an add code is the day before the class officially begins. You can check those dates on the academic calendar.

How do I add a class that is already full? 

Put your name on the waitlist through Self Service, then attend the first class meeting to ask for an add code from the instructor. Once you have an add code, you can return to Self Service to register for the course. You can also always email the instructor to inquire if space is available, and you can find faculty emails by going to Faculty and Staff Directory">.

I received a message that says “You are not eligible for registration” or “You cannot register without an academic program” when trying to register for classes on Self Service. What should I do?

Contact Admissions & Records Office at evcar@evc.edu or call (408) 270-6441 for assistance.

Counseling & Advising 

Am I assigned a counselor?

No, you are not assigned to a specific counselor. You may schedule an appointment with any counselor you choose. Visit the Counseling Faculty section for a list of counselors.

Am I required to meet with a counselor?

You are only required to meet with a counselor after you have completed 15 degree-applicable units at  EVC.

How do I schedule an appointment with a counselor?

To schedule an appointment with a counselor, you can call the Counseling office at (408) 270-6475 or visit the Counseling website to schedule a remote or in-person appointment.

How should I prepare for my Counseling Appointment?

Write down your specific questions in advance and bring them with you to the appointment. Plan to arrive on time to maximize the time allotted with your counselor. Have your student ID number ready for faster service. If you have taken courses at colleges other than Evergreen Valley College and/or San Jose City College, bring a copy of your (official or unofficial) transcript or any other documents you think may be helpful to your counseling appointment. These documents can include high school transcripts, AP scores, etc.

How do I complete an orientation?

To complete the online, self-paced orientation, you will need to first activate your Canvas Account. Once you activate your Canvas account, you can access the Online Orientation link. We offer in-person orientation in Vietnamese only. For more information, contact the First Stop Center.

If I’m only taking 1-2 classes, do I need to complete an orientation and develop an education plan?

No, you are not required to attend orientation and develop an education plan if you are only planning to take 1-2 classes. However, if you plan to continue at EVC, you must meet the Student Success mandates (orientation + educational plan) to get an earlier priority registration date for the next term.

Do I need to take an assessment or placement test for English, ESL, or Math?

As a result of Assembly Bill (AB) 705, placement into your English and Math courses will now be based on one or more of the following: high school transcripts, high school grades, high school GPA, applicable AP scores, and the EVC Self-Guided Placement Tool. It is highly recommended that you schedule a counseling appointment to discuss the appropriate course(s) to take. For English as a Second Language (ESL), complete the Self Guided Placement Request form with the First Stop Center.

Which English & Math courses can I take in my first semester?

Assembly Bill (AB) 705 allows you to enroll in a college-level English and Math course. We recommend you meet with a counselor to ensure you enroll in the appropriate course(s).

What other classes should I take in my first semester?

We recommend that you take an English and Math course and the introductory course in any potential major or field of study that you are considering. You can also take General Education courses. Refer to our online College Catalog for the list of courses GE and Major Requirements.  

What should I do if I am having difficulty deciding on a major or career goal?

It is okay to not know what your major or career goal is! We are here to help. The Transfer & Career Center is a good place to begin exploring different majors or careers. You may also choose to take COUNS 13 - Career Planning at EVC or meet with a counselor to help you explore different career options. 

What is an educational plan? What is the difference between an Abbreviated Student Ed Plan and a Comprehensive Student Ed Plan?  

An educational plan outlines the courses you should complete each semester in order to successfully meet your educational goal. 

An Abbreviated Student Ed Plan (ASEP) is a one-semester plan of courses to take, whereas a Comprehensive Student Ed Plan (CSEP) is a complete outline of all the courses required for you to meet your educational goal.  Students with a current Ed plan on file receive priority registration.

How do I get a copy of my Ed plan?

You can access your Ed plan by logging into your Self Service account. Click on “Students”, then “Educational Planning” under the “Academic Profile” tab. Refer to the Student Guide on Ed Plan for step-by-step instructions.

What is the difference between a “recommended” and a “prerequisite” course?

A recommended course is established to improve your ability to succeed in the course you want to take, and if you have not taken that course, you will not be prevented from enrolling.

A prerequisite course is a course that is mandatory and must be completed before enrolling. For example, to enroll in English 1B, you must first complete English 1A with a grade of a C or better.

How do I clear a prerequisite?

Complete the Prerequisite Verification Form. Submit the form along with the proper documents showing you have met the prerequisite requirement to enroll in a course to mycounselor@evc.edu. Counselors will review your form within five business days. You will be informed if your request is approved or denied. If you are approved, you can register for the course. You do not need a counseling appointment in order to clear a prerequisite.

What if I am currently taking the prerequisite course and do not have the final grade yet? 

If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite course at either Evergreen Valley College or San Jose City College and are blocked from registering, complete the Prerequisite Verification Form. You do not need a counseling appointment. If you are currently taking the prerequisite course at another college, then you must complete the In Progress Verification Form and schedule a counseling appointment to review for approval. Be sure to provide proof that you are currently taking the prerequisite course at your appointment time.

What is the difference between an AS and an AA degree?

An Associate of Science (AS) degree is typically awarded for a vocational or technical program, whereas an Associate of Arts (AA) degree is typically awarded for an academic program and prepares you for transfer to a four-year institution. General education requirements for an AS are 24 units, whereas an AA is 39 units. Both AS and AA degrees require a minimum of 60 units total in order to earn a degree.

Can I complete an Associate Degree with only general education courses?

No, you must complete general education and major courses. Refer to a complete list of Associate Degrees available at Evergreen Valley College. 

When and how do I apply for an Associate Degree or Certificate? 

You must schedule a counseling appointment to petition/apply for a degree and certificate usually during the first two weeks of your last semester at EVC. Check the Academic Calendar for the degree/certificate petition deadlines.

How do I remove a Probation/Dismissal hold so that I can register?

Schedule an appointment with a counselor who will meet with you to discuss your academic progress and determine your next steps. Visit the Academic Probation and Dismissal information page for more information.

What is the maximum number of units I can take per term?  What if I want to take more than the maximum number of units allowed?

Students can only take up to 7 units during the Intersession. Students can take up to 10 units per each summer session. Unlike the regular semester, you cannot petition to take more units during these times.

For Fall and Spring terms, students can take up to 18 units without a counselor’s approval. Students can petition to take up to 22 units by completing the Excess Units Petition form and scheduling a counseling appointment for approval. 

How many times can I repeat a course?

Students are not permitted to repeat courses that have been successfully completed with a grade of A, B, C or P. Students may repeat any course in which a substandard final grade (D, F, NP or W) was earned.

Students repeating a course for the first time due to a substandard grade can automatically register for the course. Students repeating the course for a second or third time are required to complete a Course Repeat Petition and schedule a counseling appointment to review. Registration for second or third repeats are not automatic. Students must contact Admissions & Records to register if the Course Repeat Petition is approved.  

How will a "D", "F", "W", or "NP" affect my academic record?

Grades of "D" or "F" will negatively affect your GPA. Receiving a "W" or "NP" will not be calculated into your GPA. However, a "W" or "NP" does place you at risk of progress probation and/or financial aid disqualification.

How do I calculate my overall GPA?

Check your EVC GPA on your Self Service account. If you attended multiple colleges, we recommend using an online GPA calculator to determine your cumulative GPA. Be certain to include all the courses you have taken.



What are the steps to transfer to a four-year college/university?

Visit the Transfer Center and Transfer Services for step-by-step instructions.

What is the difference between UC and CSU? How do I know which one is the right choice for me?

The California State University (CSU) emphasizes practical and career orientation. There are 23 CSU campuses. Refer to the CSU Profiles link for more information.

The University of California (UC) emphasizes on developing research skills through theoretical and  analytical learning. There are 10 UC campuses. Refer to UC Profiles link for more information. 

Schedule a counseling appointment to discuss choosing the university that best fits your educational goals. 

What are the CSU transfer requirements? 

To be admitted to the California State University as an upper-division transfer (UDT) student, you must:

  • Complete a minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter units of transferable coursework;
  • Complete the mandatory Golden Four or Basic Skills courses with grade “C” or better in Oral Communication, Written Communication, Critical Thinking, and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning areas; Earn an overall college GPA of at least 2.00; your GPA is calculated using all your transfer units attempted. In high-demand majors and campuses, a GPA of 2.00 may not be sufficient to be admitted;
  • Complete the required/recommended courses needed for your intended major with the minimum grades;
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended. In simple terms, “good standing” means you are eligible to re-enroll at your last college or university.

Refer to CSU Upper-Division Transfer or EVC Transfer Center or schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

What are the UC transfer requirements?

To be admitted to the University of California as an upper-division transfer (UDT) student, you must:

  • Complete the following 7-course pattern by the end of the spring term prior to fall enrollment at UC:
    • Two transferable courses in English composition.
    • One transferable course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.
    • Four transferable college courses chosen from at least two of the following subject areas:
      • arts and humanities
      • social and behavioral sciences physical and biological sciences

Complete at least 60 semester (90 quarter) units of UC-transferable credit. No more than 14 semester units may be taken with Pass/No Pass.

Earn at least a 2.4 GPA in UC-transferable courses (2.8 if you're a nonresident). Some majors require a higher GPA for admission selection.

Complete the required/recommended courses needed for your intended major with the minimum grades. 

Refer to UC Upper-Division Transfer Eligibility Requirements or EVC Transfer Center link or schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

What major preparation courses do I need to complete?

Lower division major requirements may vary depending on the university you plan to transfer to. It is best to schedule a counseling appointment to review your major requirements and develop a comprehensive educational plan to meet your transfer goals. Refer to the links below for more information on major prep coursework:

  • ASSIST.org
  • EVC Transfer Center
  • EVC Articulation
  • ADT Degree 

What is the difference between CSU GE and IGETC GE pattern? 

The CSU General Education pattern may be used to transfer to California State University (CSU) and the IGETC General Education pattern may be used to transfer to both University of California and/or CSU. Refer to CSU GE and IGETC links for more information. Schedule a counseling appointment to discuss which pattern best fits your goal. 

What is an ADT degree?

An Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) is an Associate degree at a community college for students who intend to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU. An ADT offers a guaranteed admission to a CSU and provides a GPA bump when transferring to a CSU. Once admitted and enrolled, a student will only need an additional 60 units to complete a bachelor’s degree. Refer to the Transfer Center link for more ADT degree information/requirements. 

When and how do I apply for an ADT degree? 

You must schedule a counseling appointment to petition/apply for a degree usually during your last semester at EVC. Check the Academic Calendar for the degree petition deadlines.

What is UC TAG?

A Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) is an agreement between a community college and the UC to guarantee your transfer admission to a UC campus if you meet all the criteria specific to that UC. Visit the individual UC campus websites to review specific TAG requirements.

How do I apply for UC TAG?

Complete a TAG application by using the UC Transfer Admission Planner (TAP). Submit your TAG application between September 1-30, one year before you plan to transfer. Submit a UC application between November 1–30. Refer to the Transfer Center link, schedule a counseling appointment, or contact a UC representative for more information.

When and how do I apply for transfer?

Students apply to transfer one year in advance, usually when they have completed at least 30 transferable semester units. Refer to the Transfer Center link for specific transfer application timelines and information.

Will I receive transfer credits for my AP scores?

CSU and UC usually grant credits for AP scores of 3 or higher. The number of units granted, course equivalency, and satisfaction of requirements vary for each institution and for different majors. Check with a counselor and/or the individual institutions for more information. 

Can I take my transfer major preparation and GE courses with Pass/No Pass (P/NP) grade?

No. Transfer major prep coursework must be taken with letter grade only. It is also strongly advised that you complete your GE coursework with letter grade.

Can I transfer to a four-year college/university by completing my general education requirements only?

No. Most majors have lower-division prerequisite requirements that must be completed prior to transfer. If you are applying to an impacted (competitive) college/university or major, the completion of major courses will greatly increase your chances of being accepted. You will also save time and money by completing these courses before you transfer.

Am I required to obtain an Associate Degree if I intend to transfer? 

No.  An Associate degree is not required for transfer. However, many students find it beneficial to have a college degree for employment. Schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

If I obtain an Associate degree from EVC, can I automatically transfer to a four-year college/university?

No. Completion of an Associate degree does not automatically meet all the requirements for transfer to a four-year college/university. Schedule a counseling appointment for more information.

Will I be considered a junior when I transfer?

Students who have completed a minimum of 60 transferable units and all major prerequisite courses at a community college transfer to a four-year college/university as a junior.



Victor Garza

Dean, Counseling Services & Student Success


Celina Gallegos

Sr. Division Administrative Assistant